Wilder knocks down Fury twice in controversial heavyweight draw

wilder knocks down fury twice in controversial heavyweight draw

Deontay Wilder retained his WBC heavyweight title against Tyson Fury after two knockdowns awarded him a controversial split decision draw in Los Angeles on Saturday.

The judges scorecards read 115-111 in favour of Wilder, 114-112 in favour of Fury and a 113-113 draw.

Fury fell in the ninth and 12th rounds but climbed off the canvas both times in a spirited performance in which he clearly out-boxed the champion in most of the rounds.

"We’re on away soil, I got knocked down twice, but I still believe I won that fight," said Fury

"I'm being a total professional here. I went to Germany to fight Klitschko and I went to America to fight Deontay Wilder. God bless America. The ‘Gypsy King’ has returned."

With the draw, Wilder and Fury are still undefeated and the nature of the result could prompt a rematch in 2019.

"I would love for it to be my next fight. Why not?," said Wilder.

"Let’s give the fans what they want to see. It was a a great fight and let’s do it again. It doesn’t matter to me where we do it.

"We’re the two best in the world and we proved it tonight. When you get two warriors you get a great fight. That’s what we proved tonight and I’m ready to do it again."

It was a sensational display from Fury who was only competing in his second world title fight since beating Wladimir Klitschko for the WBA, WBO and IBF titles in 2015.

The 30-year-old Briton, who remains unbeaten in 28 fights, took almost three years out of the sport after mental health issues and excessive weight gain, where he weighed over 180 kilograms.

"I hope I did you all proud after nearly three years out of the ring," said Fury.

"I was never going to be knocked down tonight. I showed good heart to get up. I came here tonight and I fought my heart out."

Wilder, who weighed in for the fight at his career-lightest of 96 kilograms (212lbs), entered the ring wearing a golden mask and crown.

The first minute of the fight was cautious between the heavyweight pair but then the fight exploded into life at the Staples Center.

Wilder, a known knockout artist with 39 knockouts in 41 contests, made the first move with a swinging right.

He followed his intent by landing the first clean blow of the fight, clipping Fury with a left hook.

Reminiscent of the Fury that dethroned Klitschko three years ago in Duesseldorf, Fury gave Wilder a sign that the champion of old returned by putting his hands behind his back and mocking the man they call the "Bronze Bomber."

And in the third, Fury boxed well behind his jab and the former champion won the round on the bell with a short left hook.

Fury unleashed more combinations at the start of the fifth round but with no telling effect as Wilder kept his head wrapped tight in a shell and pushed Fury back with a straight arm.

The self-proclaimed "Gypsy King" pressed forward at the half-way stage, knocking Wilder back with another lighting quick combination and continued to bounce around the ring, poking his jab.

The arena crowd sprung from their seats in the seventh after Fury caught Wilder with a stinging right hook. Fury continued to dodge Wilder whenever he came forward trying to win the fight by detonating one big bomb.

But the Alabama fighter finally set one off in the ninth round, as Wilder pummelled Fury into the canvas with a chopping right on the top of the head.

Fury rose to his feet and began to taunt his opponent by raising his arms and sticking out his tongue, asking Wilder to come forward.

But Wilder’s gas tank was running near empty after the last tiring eight rounds he spent chasing Fury around the ring. He looked drained swinging for a finisher.

Fury finished the 11th round comfortably in charge – and he knew it as he raised his fist to the crowd.

However, Wilder’s chance to try and steal a win came in the final round when he stunned Fury with a thudding right and dropped him with a vicious left hook.

Fury laid flat and looked unconscious but he opened his eyes and rose to his feet to hear the final bell.

A chorus of boos echoed throughout the arena as the judges returned mixed scorecards and indecision once again marred a spectacular fight.

Original Article


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *






G20 leaders back WTO reform despite clear divisions

Egypt’s total public investments record EGP 72 bln in Q1